But the rationale for the honor, as well as its unusual nature, could be seen as a message.
“When you have people of all backgrounds and races, age, socioeconomic differences and they all are moved by this work — this is a work of power and importance,” Ms. Rutter said. “And I’m disappointed that Mr. Trump may not like it. But in fact, this is not a rebuke. This is about celebrating a powerful work of art and I will always stand by the power of the arts.”
Mr. Miranda’s representative did not say whether he or the rest of the creative team will attend if Mr. Trump is there, but did provide a statement on their behalf.
“The Kennedy Center Honors is the highest achievement an artist can receive. For the Board to break with its custom of honoring an individual and choosing instead to bestow this recognition on a single piece of work is humbling beyond our wildest expectations for our show,” Mr. Miranda, Thomas Kail (director), Andy Blankenbuehler (choreographer) and Alex Lacamoire (musical director) said in the statement.
The ceremony, which is televised, is scheduled for Dec. 2, when Mr. Miranda will most likely be rehearsing for another stint in “Hamilton.” Mr. Miranda is reprising his role as Alexander Hamilton for a three-week run in Puerto Rico in January.
He has been an ardent critic of Mr. Trump, saying last year that the president was going “straight to hell.”
Mr. Trump set his sights on “Hamilton” shortly after he won the election, when Mike Pence, then vice president-elect, attended a performance of the show. Near the end of the musical, Brandon Victor Dixon, who was playing Vice President Aaron Burr, addressed Mr. Pence directly as he was leaving, saying: “We, sir — we — are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights.”