After Trump Flare-Up, Eagles Let Football (and Some Signs) Do the Talking

0
8

“You aren’t listening,” read another sign, which Jenkins held up more than once in response to reporters’ queries.

Image
“It wasn’t a boycott by any means,” tight end Zach Ertz said about the team’s approach to the White House visit.CreditMatt Slocum/Associated Press

It is not clear what transpired in the run-up to Monday evening, when President Trump disinvited the team after fewer than 10 team members planned to attend, according to the White House. Mr. Trump’s statement accused the Eagles of disagreeing with his stance that all players should stand for the anthem.

No Eagles players knelt during the anthem last season. Several have since clarified that objections to the visit did not stem from the anthem debate.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House press secretary, said that last week the Secret Service received several dozen names of prospective attendees for clearance, but then Friday the Eagles told the White House that very few people would be coming.

Team officials have not commented. Jason Kelce, a center, said Wednesday that there had been several team meetings about the trip, and that at one point players had been asked to fill out a form stating whether they wished to attend the ceremony as well as other events in Washington.

“Everybody came at their own decision,” Kelce said. “I don’t think anyone felt pressured either way.”

“It wasn’t a boycott by any means,” added tight end Zach Ertz on Wednesday.

The N.F.L. has not commented on this week’s events. Last month, Commissioner Roger Goodell announced a new policy requiring players on-field before the game to stand for the anthem.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here